Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Driveway farm

Last year there were relative successes and failures in the Trombi driveway farm. Corn grew. It was giant and fantastic. And even edible. Tomatoes, which should be one of the easiest things, failed entirely. Asparagus was in its first year, so performed as expected. Potatoes failed at "towerdom", but there were potatoes nonetheless. It was satisfying to grow things, but not exactly a harvest...

This year I've set my sights much higher. There are tomatoes - even, dare I say, sexy tomatoes. Asparagi were harvested and eaten and have gone to fern. Artichokes have surpassed expectations. Potatoes have been harvested and planted again for seconds. There are carrots, cucumber (though we still struggle with the cukes for some reason), beans, peas, squash, pumpkins (oh last year's pumpkins were pathetic), and I even have hope for my fig tree.

My apple tree is going bonkers! Fanfreakintastic! The girls loves nothing better than coring and peeling an apple, and I'm thinking about apple cider in the fall.

Needless to say, I'm feeling content with my urban farming endeavors. Next, chickens! I've been offered the deal of "get rid of the motorcycle and you can get a coop" by the ever generous hub. I needed a new motorcycle anyway... :)

 

No comments: